Monday, April 4, 2011

Happy hour

Oh how our best laid plans do fall apart! So I neither educated myself on the history of Cambodia nor cycled to Angkor Wat on the intended day, all because we found 2 4 1 cocktails! Typical bloody English abroad! All I can say is I'm easily lead astray! So we had a good night living it up in Siem Reap (on cocktails no less, that's not cheap beer, but real cocktails!) it was just me, Brett and another couple we met. We bonded over food and then a Dr Fish treatment (where you stick your feet in a tank of water and fish eat away at the dead skin - yum!), then we discovered cocktails and the rest was history!

We did finally cycle to Angkor Wat and had an exhausting but very good day exploring temples and ruins. It was a pretty special experience. The more time we spend in Cambodia, the more we like it, it's a beautiful place with lovely culture (though I could still really do with learning more). The levels of poverty are quite shocking though and while on our first day we met the cheeky kids who'll ask you for a coin or 2, we've since come across the really desperate kids carrying babies, hanging on to you and begging for you to buy food and baby milk. It's really hard to handle and I really don't know the best thing to do. There are just not enough dollars to go round everyone here! Brett got followed down the street by a little girl who kept saying he was a bad man because he didn't have the money to buy her postcards!

Now we've arrived in Pnom Penn and just about to go and explore. I'd spend longer writing but I'm in some rustic internet room with no air con and a few dubious looking creatures hanging around so I'm making my escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment