Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back in sunny England town

As far as people go I'd say I'm one of the luckiest. I may not have the looks of Claudia Schiffer or the brain of Steven Hawkins or indeed the entreprenerial skills of Richard Branson, but I do know some of the best people in the world and I've seen some really fantastic places and eaten some dam fine food. All that being the case, I still sometimes can't help feeling sad. Freezing my arse off on yet another red-eye, budget flight, but this time all by myself, is one of those occasions.

Life is great and this I know, but leaving the person you love at the airport to travel to the other side of the world still sucks! I can't turn to the old faithful security blanket they call coffee to help me out this time because I know from experience that drinking coffee with over 24 hours of travelling still to go only serves to bite you on the arse later. So there I was, in Kuala Lumpur airport, with 8 hours of the night still to wait, cradling a green tea and picking apart a club sandwich. I got the club even though I don't like chicken because it was the only sandwich on granary bread and I suddenly had an overwhelming craving for granary bread. I sat in the 24 hour Starbucks scrawling in my battered little notebook, dwelling on all the good things in my life so I didn't feel so sad. As I sat and dwelled and munched my sandwich (with the chicken all picked out), I couldn't believe how many people were sat engrossed in their laptops. Literally every single person in that Starbucks, it was like some kind of non-talking, computer-watching convention. Half of them had some kind of technological device I didn't even recognise! It seems a bizarre world to me as I watch people watch their screens. But then I am but a backwards Cornish lass who probably needs to catch up with the rest of the world. I bet they didn't feel sad, not with their laptops for company!

Touching down many hours later in Stansted was a wonderful moment - coming home! It was a bit grey, a bit drizzly. I wouldn't have had it any other way! I love England, don't ask me why because really I have no answer, but I do. I was amused to have come from countries where you arrive to signs warning of death for any drug traffickers. The UK landing card warns: 'If you break laws you could face imprisonment and removal.' Touch talk England, tough talk!

I arrived to see Celina's beautiful face clutching a much needed cup of coffee for my welcome home. I was feeling very patriotic and was delighted to see that London had pulled out all the stops for my return, union jacks lined the streets for me. Ok, maybe more for the Royal wedding, but I like to think they were a little bit for me too.

Since I've been home, everything delights me. I bounced into the train station to buy myself a ticket into central London once I left Celina's and my cheerful enthusiasm was met with a distainful, bored face that could only be seen on a Londoner. Yep, it's good to be home! I'm not entirely over my sadness, I miss Brett every single day. I wouldn't say that I feel like I'm missing a limb or anything because I'm still myself without him, it's just not quite the same. Not quite as good. To me, it's like having a really good cup of coffee in the morning, perfectly satisfactory by itself. But now, if you were to add a freshly baked pastry to go with that coffee, then you have a match made in heaven and everything is just that little bit better. To me, Brett is the freshly baked pastry. And in my world, that is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment