Monday, April 11, 2011

A few suitcases under our eyes

Here we are where we started - Bali again! I'd love to say that I had a whole load of witty anecdotes and stories to tell, but that would just be a big fat lie. At least this time I have an excuse, as I think I'm knocking on 48 hours of no sleep (I think 48 hours because right now trying to actually do the maths is defeating me).

We left Cambodia having spectacularly failed to sort anything with the local Police that may help our insurance claim and also spectacularly failed to buy any souvenirs from Cambodia. We completed our 14 hours bus journey across Cambodia and to Bangkok with a group of nice people and one quintessential charmless man (not sure if that quite makes sense but it's all the words my brain can come up with at this stage in the game). This guy (who I'm ashamed to say was English) was really just repulsive, he was unforgivably rude to locals and bent our ears the whole journey with his tales of woe. He had a motorbike crash and told anyone in shouting distance about how it was the other bastard's fault, but the bastard police don't do anything to help (why ever would they not rush to the aid of such a pleasant, charming soul?!). He also told us about the local girl he hooked up with (as you do, you know - with a wink at the lads) she promptly robbed him of his laptop while he slept - that's karma! When we boarded the bus at the Thai side of the border, he produced a joint he'd "accidentally" smuggled through customs. Like I said, a real charmer!

The journey itself was picturesque but painfully long and cramped. Brett, who isn't really built for mini bus seats at the best of times, is now a broken man. He spent too long on the beach playing with the local kids and throwing them off his shoulders into the sea. They loved it but he is now paying for it with some kind of seized neck injury. He looks like robo man walking around. After the bus, it was pretty much straight to the airport for us, followed by a few hours wait in the freezing cold - why they need to crank up the air con in the airport in the middle of the night with only a few dregs of people around is beyond me!

Now we're back in lovely Bali and we've found a guesthouse with a pool no less. It also turns out it's a sociable guesthouse and they're all going out together. Why, why do we meet the sociable ones when we need to sleep?! Well I'm not giving in - I need sleep! Well, food first, then sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment