Thursday, February 17, 2011

The day Bali almost finished me off

Well never let it be said that alcohol stimulates creativity, I spent all day yesterday filling my head with amazing sights and sounds of Bali and the best I can say is "it's not too shabby!"

I mean it is very hard to sum up especially after just one day of being driven around all wide eyed and excited. Bali is certainly a very vibrant place with stunning stone and wood carvings and colourful shops and beautiful Hindu carvings and shrines and offerings of flowers to bring safety and good luck. It is also very sprawling with traditional mixed with the familiar bright signs for McDonalds, Starbucks, Coca Cola and "Big Aussie Steaks." Traffic is apparently lawless with a 2 lane road easily stretched out to a 5 lane road with some creative maneuvering. Horns are just part of the musical chorus of the roads but here they are not a sound of aggression, just part of the complex network of the roads that work in a seemingly effortlessly fluid mass (well the vehicles move not actually the roads).

The people we have met so far have been just genuinely lovely. Our first night here, we had the 2 night security dudes chasing around the hotel after I mimed (really badly) that we needed new matches for our Mosquito coil. They turned up with first a giant torch followed by cigarettes and mosquito spray before finally getting what we were after. We are temporarily staying in a beautiful, out-of-the-way hotel while our "surf camp" is being renovated. It suits me just perfectly - we get free coffee and cakes in the afternoon, a magical outdoor kind of bathroom with flowers and plants growing in it. Fresh coffee and croissants in the morning - yep, life here is good!

Today my pathetic excuse of a body almost let me down, I woke up with my patchwork self aching all over from surfing yesterday, my arms would barely move let alone paddle, I still have the oh-so-attractive patchy sunburnt legs and I seemed to develop some kind of case of Bali belly overnight that did not bode well for a day out with all men, surfing and no proper toilets in sight! Luckily I swallowed a can of concrete and the body cooperated long enough to pull it together and have a good surf followed by my now staple diet of rice and vegetables. Plus I do get specially looked after so there are some advantages of being the only girl!

Brett meanwhile is in his element, despite having a hole in his ear from a surfing crash, he's off chatting to anyone and everyone who will listen and trying his best to say everything in Indonesian (makes for limited conversation but people seem to like him anyway)! Now it is apparently "necessary" to leave at 7am in the morning to get the best surf so I'm going to give the poor battered body some sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment