Monday, February 14, 2011

Flying day!

Today is flying day - at 7.30 pm today we are due to leave Darwin and fly into sunny Bali. Today is the worst weather I've ever experienced in Darwin, we were kept awake all night by winds and rains in a house that felt like it was going to fall apart (possibly a slight exaggeration but I'm from Cornwall - we don't have tropical storms in Cornwall)! Now it turns out we're on Cyclone watch - bloody awesome! Nothing like starting our travels in the middle of a bloomin' cyclone. And we're flying with a budget airline so no doubt cyclone or no cyclone we'll be crammed on the plane anyway and then I guess it's just hope for the best.
I'm ready for a cocktail when (or if) we make it to Bali!

To say we're all organised would be a blatant lie but, all being well cyclone-wise, I have high hopes that we'll at least make the plane. I'm now on the important job of chomping my way through any remaining things left in the fridge, got a few things to chuck in my bag (heavy but not exceeding the weight limit so I'll call that a success at light packing!) and then we're off.

Travel insurance: A necessary evil even I can appreciate that (at least when your credit card situation is as close to the edge as mine!) but necessary or not it still feels like a lot of money for nothing! To make matters worse it turned out that in my current situation I don't qualify for any kind of travel insurance. As a UK citizen I can't get an Australian policy, but as I'm already in Australia at the start of my trip, I can't get a UK policy - hmm! I've finally managed to pay double the going rate for a policy from the friendly Flight Centre people. It covers pretty much everything (except I think for cyclones!) but hi-jacking - bring it on, I'm covered!

So Bali here we come (fingers crossed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment